KINGS HEATH BATHS

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

In 1911, a plot of land at Institute Road was purchased with plans to build a public bath. The First World War interrupted plans for the development and it wasn't until August 15th 1923  that the baths opened. They were constructed as part of the Unemployed Relief Works with facilities including a swimming bath with washing baths for men and women. There was only one pool 100 feet long by 35 feet wide. It also had the ability of being floored over in the winter months for dancing and other social purposes.

The baths were used as a causality unit during WW2, again by covering the bath with a timber floor.

The baths closed in 1987,and the building demolished.

A leisure centre has been built on the site.