Loveday Street Maternity Hospital

                      Birmingham           History

The Birmingham Lying-in Hospital and Dispensary for the diseases of Women and Children was formed in 1842, and was originally located in St. Mary’s Square, but moved a year later to premises in Broad Street, it only accepted “married women” for child birth cases.

In 1906, land was brought in Loveday Street at a cost of £2,850 to build a purpose built hospital, with £11,900 spent on building costs and a further £1,500 to equip the hospital. Due to an appeal which raised the required money it was able to open debt free, but needed to continue to raise funds as running costs were estimated at £1,500 per annum.

The hospital closed in 1968.